Re: [0.99-15] Some problems and questions

"John E. Davis" <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   The "integer" function is parsing "08" as octal because of the
>   leading 0.  Changing:
[...]
>   should fix that.

Yup, thanks for that. It works now.

>   In many respects, the keyboard input routines work asynchronously
>   from the display routines.  In particular, screen updates get
>   delayed if there is pending input.  As a result, when the screen
>   does get updated, the "current line" may be several lines below the
>   bottom of the window.  So, the display code simply recenters the
>   window to put the current line in the center.  This also explains
>   why the effect depends upon the load.

I understand. But why did you choose the solution to put the current
line in the center of the screen? Wouldn't it feel more natural to
the user, if the cursor would stay where it was before (for instance
at the bottom of the screen) and the screen-content would be updated
accordingly? At least I feel more comfortable with this way. I find
it a bit confusing when the cursor moves up and down while I only
press cursor-down for instance.

But it is especially the readibility, which is not very good IMHO,
when the cursor and the screen-content both jump. This for instance
is something which disturbs me very much in (x)emacs and is one of
the reasons why I don't use them. So if you ever plan to make some
changes here, I would really love such a new mode.

>      public define global_mode_hook (hook)
>      {
>         local_setkey ("search_forward", WHATEVER);
>      }

>   in your .jedrc file.

Yep, thanks. This also works great.

>   Yes: suppose the function "foo" is in somefile.sl.  Then put:

>      require ("somefile");
>      define foo ()
>      {
>          WHATEVER
>      }

I did so with the function compile() from acompile.sl. But I get:
"S-Lang Error: Undefined Name: Compile_Output_Buffer is undefined".
I tried to solve that by adding require("compile.sl") too (where the
variable is defined), but this was not the solution. Is there one?

>>(e) In site.sl there is a gdb-mode mentioned but commented out. Is it
>>    available from somewhere or does jed support debugging in general?

>   It was posted to this list sometime ago.  I have not included it in
>   jed because it did not quite work right.

I would be interested in it. Perhaps I can improve it, although I'm not
a very experienced slang-programmer. Perhaps somebody else on this list
is also interested to improve it, so we could do it together. Do you
have a public archive, where I can find the former mails of this list?

> I hope I have answered your questions.

Yes, you helped me a lot. Thank you!

Martin