Re: Re: Re: startup file names (was: Ignore_Beep doesn't...)

Dear jedies,

incorporating the feedback from Klaus and Johann, I deviced a new proposal
for the startup scheme.

* The new name for site.sl:

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002 00:52:08 +0200 wrote ks <klaus.schmid@xxxxxx>:
> Drawback of jed.sl (imo): too close associated to other files, especially to
> jed.exe. jed.xx generated by any conversion of jed.yy might be wrongly
> associated to jed.zz. Extensions might be hidden by os.

Got the point. However, as jed.exe (or just jed on other systems) and jed.sl
reside in different directories (JED_ROOT/bin vs. JED_ROOT/lib) and there is
no need to copy or link jed.sl to a different place, this might not be too
dangerous.

* User and Site-wide jed directories

  User and Site-wide jed directories should reflect the structure of
  JED_ROOT (i.e. should have the subdirectories /lib and /doc) so that
  additional modules/modes can be accompagnied by documentation.

  There should be defaults, that can be overridden by environment variables
  or command line options. Adapted to suit the differences of the OS (naming
  conventions, multiuser vs. single user).

  If the lib/ and doc/ subdirectories exist, the library and documentation
  paths will be set accordingly. (Hint: to keep evaluating of files fast,
  don't create these if you don't need them)

  User and site-wide configuration files reside in Jed_User_Dir and
  Jed_Site_Dir.

  Defaults:

  (Naming contest: Choose your favourite from the list, maybe a search-list
  of alternatives. Replace the ??? with your ideas. Of course the German
  names are just placeholders for a system default)

  Unix:
    Jed_User_Dir:  ~/.jed
    Jed_Site_Dir:  /etc/jed, /usr/local/etc/jed, /usr/etc/jed, ???

  DOS:
    Jed_User_Dir:  JED_ROOT\user, c:\jed (if != JED_ROOT), ???
    Jed_Site_Dir:  ""

  Single user Windows (3.11, 95, 98):
    Jed_User_Dir:  JED_ROOT\user, c:\jed (if != JED_ROOT),
                       c:\Eigene_Dateien\jed, ???
    Jed_Site_Dir:  c:\jed (if != JED_ROOT), ""

  Multi user Windows (98, NT, XP)
    Jed_User_Dir:  c:\Eigene_Dateien\jed,
                       c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen/$USER\jed, ???
    Jed_Site_Dir:  c:\jed (if not JED_ROOT),
                   c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\jed

  VAX: ???

* Startup files:

Names

  > How about somewhat more telling than jedrc.sl:

  This becomes really tricky: two names that are
     8+3 short
     telling for users of all the supported OS
     telling for long-term users of jed
     nice :-)

Revised Proposal

  Search for the configuration file in JED_ROOT, Jed_User_Dir and
  Jed_Site_Dir and evaluate if found. Settings in one of these are
  overwritten by the more specific configuration.

  This would require the definition of these variables before the
  configuration via jed.rc by:
     - search for defaults
     - environment variables
     - command line options

  The name of the file might be derived from a search list of default names
  (which should replace the Default_Jedrc_Startup_File variable),
  an environment variable or a command line option.

  The switch -n would turn off the evaluation of all configuration files.

  (A clever combination of JED_ROOT, Jed_User_Dir and Jed_Site_Dir can be
  used to selectively evaluate/not evaluate the config files, e.g.
  --site-dir="" for blocking the site-wide config file.)

  Advantages:

  Just one name (e.g. jed.rc or jedrc.sl) needed for sitewide and personal
  configuration :-)

  No need to touch JED_ROOT.

  A new installation will never overwrite the config files.

  Flexible means of customization. Use Jed_Site_Dir and Jed_User_Dir just
  for customization or also for your extensions -- have your stuff always
  well organized.

  Some examples:

    Simplest: (for both, DOS users and lazy Sysadmins)
              copy the template  JED_ROOT/doc/jedrc.sl to JED_ROOT and adapt
              to your needs.

    Intermediate: (e.g. Single user on a Linux system)
              Create ~/.jed, copy jedrc.sl there and adapt.
              Optionally create ~/.jed/lib and ~/.jed/doc for the
              modules downloaded from the modes repository and homemade stuff.

    Complex:  (for a cluster of different machines with a shared JED_ROOT)
              JED_ROOT/jed.rc for generic settings of the cluster
              Jed_Site_Dir/jed.rc for machine-dependend settings
              (assuming Jed_Site_Dir points to a non-shared directory)
              Jed_User_Dir/jed.rc for user-specific settings

              (for a cluster of different machines with non-shared JED_ROOT
               and shared Jed_Site_Dir (e.g. different Unix flavours)
              JED_ROOT/jed.rc     for machine-dependend settings
              Jed_Site_Dir/jed.rc for generic settings of the cluster
              (beware not to overwrite the machine specific settings)
              Jed_User_Dir/jed.rc for user-specific settings

    For backward compatibility, we might need an exception for Unix:
    ~/.jedrc should be tried as well. (However, creating ~/.jed and copying
    jed.rc there should be not really more difficult, so we might drop that
    after a while.)

   The scheme can be tested with the present version by creating a
   defaults.sl file and placing in JED_ROOT/lib

Guenter

--
G.Milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx