Re: Re: startup file names (was: Ignore_Beep doesn't...)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guenter Milde" <G.Milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <jed-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: Re: startup file names (was: Ignore_Beep doesn't...)

> As Klaus has a more Windowish view, I'd like to add some rather Linuxish
> thougts to it.

I try to be os-independant as jed. ;)
Counted on years I am far more vaxish, a bit debianish
and windowish without much fun.

> We still need to consider the differences that are set by the os: E.g.
Under
> Unix, the normal user has no write access to JED_ROOT and its subdirs.
> Furthermore, there are several users: which users home should
JED_ROOT/home
> become? This is why I propose ~/.jed/ as default JED_HOME on Unix
> (as implemented in "Home-lib" on the JMR
>   http://jedmodes.sourceforge.net/mode/home-lib/0.9/download/home-lib.sl
> )

A user directory below JED_ROOT would be merely an option,
if case you prefer to have the config file stored beside the program.

e.g. a dos-user is out of memory for environment variables and
wants to organize his files in folders and not messing up c:\ with
visible and unvisible files.

The drawbacks of this option are clear: personal files are not possible
on multiuser-systems, user files must be copied with each update.

Advantages: customization with minimum assumptions and preparations,
clear separation between program files and user files.

> or just jed.sl (as John proposed)

Drawback of jed.sl (imo): too close associated to other files, especially to
jed.exe. jed.xx generated by any conversion of jed.yy might be wrongly
associated to jed.zz. Extensions might be hidden by os.

> For me, "system" is associated with operating system, i.e. stuff I'd not
> touch to customize an editor (not even as sysadmin == "root"). How about
> site.sl (as this becomes "free"), jedrc.sl or config.sl?

It seems linuxish is very near windowish, but quite different to
vaxish. e.g.: On vax: sys$login (i.e. home), sys$print (default printer),
sys$manager,... On windows: system folder, system.ini, system files, ...
(most in windows folder, inherited danger ;)).

site.sl and config.sl lacks association to jed, if stored elsewhere.
How about somewhat more telling than jedrc.sl:  jedall.sl.

> Becouse than you don't see it ;-) I really appreciate not to see all the
> configuration files in my home directory when I search for a "normal"
file.

Hmmm... Not so familiar with mixing "normal" files and other files in one
directory. Hidden files are unknown on vax...  and bothering on windows
imo. Anyway I would prefer a transparent organization.

> Also, it fits quite nice in the scheme, as there are: .acrorc .bashrc
> .dingrc .dvipsrc .fvwm2rc .kderc .lynxrc .mcoprc .pinerc .shrc .sversionrc
> .wmrc .xinitrc .xserverrc .foxrc

Isn't there a file attribut on unix to hide a file? (I fear not, and this
way
it should be allowed to break the tradition).

> Again, /usr is not the directory for local stuff in Unix, rather
/usr/local.
> I have the proposal of JED_ROOT/site-lib for the system-wide library in
> home-lib.sl, JED_ROOT/local might be another idea.

ok, if JED_ROOT/usr is too sensible one may choose JED_ROOT/user.

> Simple solution for this: the distribution has the templates in
JED_ROOT/doc.

More simpler (as written in a previous post): templates in JED_ROOT.
Easier to find for users, no danger to mess up any jed sub folders.

>   - A user can avoid the reading in of the sysadmins defaults.sl by
placing
>     an own (maybe empty) version in his/her Jed_Home_Library.

Would prefer solution as already posted by another forum member:
additional command switch to avoid evaluating of defaults.sl.

>   - If Jed_Home_Library is not set or not existent
>     Jed_Home_Directory/jedrc.sl (and on UNIX Jed_Home_Directory/.jedrc)
will
>     by tried.

As described, I would prefer just two variables: one which points to config
file
for all users, 2nd which points to personal config file. No need to
introduce
pointers to directories, because within these config files anyone can relate
supplement jed files in arbitrary directories and point to these by
introducing
corresponding variables if necessary. And from the two file pointers your
script
can easily derive two default directories, which a user may accept (or not)
if
any jed customizing stuff has to be stored.

To make it more clear: suppose your script reads and writes different files.
If the user does not configure anything, the script will use the path
(or maybe a subpath) of the 'user initialization file' to locate them.
If the user prefers other directories for this usage, he has to define
corresponding
variables in his 'user initialization file'.

>   - Sensible Window-defaults for Jed_Home_Library and Jed_Site_Library
need
>     to be found.

My home's on xp:
c:/Dokumente und Einstellungen/All Users/
c:/Dokumente und Einstellungen/ks/

I think it is possible to retrieve these directories with common windows
programming means (note the language-dependant directory names).

Is there an equivalent directory on linux/debian to store 'all user' data
or has the .jedrc file to be copied or linked from ~ to \root?

Klaus