startup file names (was: Ignore_Beep doesn't...)

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:04:16 -0500 wrote "John E. Davis" <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Guenter Milde <G.Milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Feature request:
> >
> >could we have a more clear naming convention for the startup files?
> >
> >site.sl     is no longer a site-wide configuration file but provides basic
> >            jed functionality via Slang library functions. A name like
> >            "libfuns.sl" or "basic.sl" would (IMHO) be more telling.
>
> This has been on my todo list for quite some time but since it is
> merely cosmetic, it is not very high on this list.  I was thinking
> jed.sl would be a better name.

Well, IMHO it is not only cosmetic, but also a matter of clearity that might
attract/disturb new users of jed.

> [...]
> >jed.rc      should become just a template, with a name telling this (like
> >            "template.rc" (finding telling names that fit into the 8.3
> >            scheme is a really hard thing - suggestions welcome) and
> >            that is *not* read in when no ~/.jedrc exists.
> >
> >            This way the user on a single-user OS that cannot copy jed.rc to
> >            .jedrc will not get his/her changes overwritten with every
> >                release.
>
> The prefered (and documented) way is to create an environment variable
> called "HOME" or "JEDHOME" and put the jed.rc file there.  That way,
> updating jed will have no effect upon the user's personal jedrc file.

While this is true, I don't like programs that need a bunch of environment
variables to run. (Maybe this is becouse I had bad experiences with an
overfull environment in the old DOS days, maybe just becouse I am lazy and
prefer "out of the box" solutions.)

Would a default "JEDHOME" for Win(DOS) that is different from "JED_ROOT"\lib
be an option?

> >            Once we are at changing names, we could also to rename the
> >            private configuration file that resides in the standard jed
> >            library to rc.sl (to make clear that it is a slang file)
>
> Which "private" file do you have in mind?

the user configuration file jed.rc.

Guenter

--
G.Milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx