Re: RE: Ignore_Beep doesn't

Guenter Milde <G.Milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Feature request:
>
>could we have a more clear naming convention for the startup files?
>
>site.sl     is no longer a site-wide configuration file but provides basic
>            jed functionality via Slang library functions. A name like
>            "libfuns.sl" or "basic.sl" would (IMHO) be more telling.

This has been on my todo list for quite some time but since it is
merely cosmetic, it is not very high on this list.  I was thinking
jed.sl would be a better name.

[...]
>jed.rc      should become just a template, with a name telling this (like
>            "template.rc" (finding telling names that fit into the 8.3
>            scheme is a really hard thing - suggestions welcome) and
>            that is *not* read in when no ~/.jedrc exists.
>
>            This way the user on a single-user OS that cannot copy jed.rc to
>            .jedrc will not get his/her changes overwritten with every release.

The prefered (and documented) way is to create an environment variable
called "HOME" or "JEDHOME" and put the jed.rc file there.  That way,
updating jed will have no effect upon the user's personal jedrc file.

>            Once we are at changing names, we could also to rename the
>            private configuration file that resides in the standard jed
>            library to rc.sl (to make clear that it is a slang file)

Which "private" file do you have in mind?