Re: [slang-users] Volunteers anyone?

On Fri, 20 May 2005 12:20:19 -0500, Ben Duncan <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> Need help in writing a "text"  (string) based database/file manager.

> It will be based possible on Tdbm (multi user version) of GDBM.
Interesting library, but it hasn't been maintained for 10 years unless
I'm missing something.  Also it only supports concurrency on the U.B.C.
Threads kernel, whatever that is.

> I need to get and put variable length fields/records, that are subject to
> change into it.
You can use the gdbm module for that.  It doesn't support concurrency,
but you can probably get by closing the db file between operations.
Otherwise, sqlite has concurrency.

> "read(db_file,"THISKEY") ;
> "extract(db_file, 4, intobuffer)" ;
I think you can do that on top of the gdbm module if you want to, but I'd
just use it the way it was intended:

  record = db["THISKEY"];
  if (record != NULL)
    intobuffer = extract_element(record, 4, ',');