[jed-users] Re: Character ranges

Hi John,

John E. Davis <jed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It is true that the define_syntax function does not explicitly
> currently support UTF-8.  Instead, changes were added a few months ago
> to version pre0.99.20-143 to make use of the SLwchar_isalpha function
> when highlighting keywords containing non-ascii characters.  This
> change was made for non-dfa syntax highlighting mode -- dfa-syntax
> hightlighting does not support UTF-8.

Okay, I am using this version. I was just a little confused
about how to specify a character set that comprised as many
characters as possible. But from what you say, it seems that I
can just do

   define_syntax ("a-zA-Z", 'w', "tbl");

and still have all non-ascii characters covered? I just tried
with some non-ascii latin characters and indeed it seems to
work that way.

> Is the (non-dfa) syntax highlighting of keywords containing non-ascii
> word characters not working in version pre0.99.20-143?  If so, please
> send me an example.

I think it works very well.

> Or are you trying to use use the define_syntax function for non-syntax
> highlighting purposes that I may have overlooked.  If so, please send
> me an example of that.

It is a spell checking function that highlights misspelled word
that I am working on.

> > at the manual pages for latin1, latin2 .., etc. and taken the
> > ranges from there. There are some overlapping characters.
> >
> > How about Cyrillic characters, Arabic, Hebrew, etc. Can I
> > specify them in a range? Would syntax highlighting even work
> > with non-latin character sets?
>
> Yes, it should--- I am sure that I tested is for various non-latin
> character sets.

I will surely test this also.

Thanks,
Morten