Re: [jed-users] Character ranges

Hi Morten,

Morten Bo Johansen <mbj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> define_syntax () is not yet utf-8 ready, so in order to specify
> characters comprising as many alphabets as possible, I guess I
> need to do it with character ranges?

It is true that the define_syntax function does not explicitly
currently support UTF-8.  Instead, changes were added a few months ago
to version pre0.99.20-143 to make use of the SLwchar_isalpha function
when highlighting keywords containing non-ascii characters.  This
change was made for non-dfa syntax highlighting mode -- dfa-syntax
hightlighting does not support UTF-8.

Is the (non-dfa) syntax highlighting of keywords containing non-ascii
word characters not working in version pre0.99.20-143?  If so, please
send me an example.

Or are you trying to use use the define_syntax function for non-syntax
highlighting purposes that I may have overlooked.  If so, please send
me an example of that.

> I try e.g.
>
>  variable c = "A-Ÿa-ÿ-ą-ţĄ-Ţ-Ħ-Ŝħ-ŝÀ-Şß-ÿĄ-Žß-žḂ-Ŷḃ-ÿ-Š-Þš-ÿ-Ą-Þą-ÿ"
>  define_syntax (c, 'w', "tbl");
>
> would this catch all latin characters? I have basically looked

No.  Such ranges are not supported by this function; instead as I
stated above, the SLwchar_isalpha function is used when encountering a
non-ascii character.

> at the manual pages for latin1, latin2 .., etc. and taken the
> ranges from there. There are some overlapping characters.
>
> How about Cyrillic characters, Arabic, Hebrew, etc. Can I
> specify them in a range? Would syntax highlighting even work
> with non-latin character sets?

Yes, it should--- I am sure that I tested is for various non-latin
character sets.