Re: [jed-users] Re: Can Jed do anything along these lines?

Xterm quit working for me. I used to be able to go into VT300 mode with 30+ lines at 132 columns in LSE and have it all just work. Not anymore. Current KDE Neon (based on current KUbuntu 16) gags bad at the screen escape sequences. Will only work as true EDT using half a screen.

Last year I searched through the distro repos for a real VT100 (preferably VT320) emulator for Linux. EVERY ONE which claimed such support failed spectacularly trying to connect to a real OpenVMS machine via telnet. Even Putty has become horrible.

Everything was soooo good when I wrote that DEC application book. Now it has all gone to ...

Part of me gets honked off enough to take a fork of Konsole or one of the other terminals and try to get it added to Debian once it is fixed. Then the realist says "Every distro will let some 12 year old boy be the package _maintainer_ and they will keep deleting everything which doesn't work with VIM."

Sorry to completely nuke this thread, but, original poster, when it comes to keystrokes in Linux terminal packages, you are standing naked at the beginning of a journey which will require you to belly crawl 6 miles over broken glass in a vomit filled alley.

On 09/09/2017 02:11 AM, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
On Fri 2017-09-08 (17:07), Roland Hughes wrote:

You know the VT100 claim Konsole makes isn't VT100. I had an argument
with the "maintainer" for Cannonical. I offered the genetic misfit
access to my DS-10 Alpha so he could actually test with the living
breathing definition of VT100. (You'll find NONE of the numeric keypad
works in EDT or LSE when you are terminaled into and actual OpenVMS
platform.)
I selected jed as my favourite editor 20 years ago, because it was close
to LSE and it supported an excellent numeric keypad editing in EDT mode.
This was THE killer feature for me as a long time VMS user.

But all GNOME based terminal emulators do not have an application keypad
mode. "Not invented here".
So I keep xterm, which works fine.

--
Roland Hughes, President