Re: [jed-users] Re: is there a Magic window mode in jed?

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016, Morten Bo Johansen wrote:

Subject: [jed-users] Re: is there a Magic window mode in jed?

On 2016-04-17 R. Stewart Ellis wrote:

The need to actually do window manipulation after I have gotten
the help is a major distraction and breaks my train of thought
frequently.  Since most help functions move the cursor to the
*help* buffer and window I have to at least issue an
other_window command to get back to the buffer I was working
in, or I can issue a delete_window command to give me all of my
active buffer windows without *help*.

I use http://jedmodes.sourceforge.net/mode/hyperhelp which is a
drop-in replacement for jed's native help interface - and in my
opinion much nicer. It has "hyperlink" navigation, completion,
apropos and more. To get rid of the help window, you just type
'q'.

Morten

Thanks.  I went to the above site and downloaded help.sl and help.hpl.
help.hpl however gave me an html file that contained:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>
<!-- ViewVC :: http://www.viewvc.org/ -->
<head>
<title>ViewVC Exception</title>
</head>
<h3>An Exception Has Occurred</h3>

<h4>HTTP Response Status</h4>
<hr />

Somehow that doesn't seem right.  Even though it is characterized as a
drop-in replacement for help.sl glancing through the code and looking at
all the "requires" that are not included in basic jed or jed-extras is
kind of intimidating.  It may take a few days to figure out how to
instal this so a future jed upgrade (when .99.20 comes out) won't break
things too bad.  Or should I just put this and all the requires in the
jed-extra lib?

  R.Stewart(Stew)Ellis,Ret.Prof.Appl.Soc.Infrmtcs  Kettering University/
  Liberal Studies Dept. ellis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  ()    ___________________
  Flint, MI 48504                            /\   /   _____  ______
  Webmaster emeritus:  www.kettering.edu         /________/ /  /  / /