Re: [jed-users] Dired fails on directory or file names with spaces?

Tom Culliton <tom.culliton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I did a little poking around in dired.sl looking for obvious issues but
> nothing jumped out at me. Maybe it's an issue with parse_filename, or the
> underlying slang functions?

No, the slang functions are ok.  The problem is that the dired_point
function cannot handle filenames with spaces.  Dired relies upon shell
functions such as "ls" on Unix and "dir" on DOS/Windows/VMS systems to
produce the directory listing that appears in the *dired* buffer.
The precise output of these commands is locale-dependent.
The dired_point function assumes that the name of the file is the last
whitespace delimited word on the line, which breaks if the filename
contains spaces.

The solution would be for me to rewrite the code that produces the
dired listing so that it does not depend upon "ls" or "dir".

What OS are you using?