[Jed-users-l] .jedrc woes still

1st question:

If my .jedrc contains:

() = evalfile("cua");
define global_mode_hook (hook)
{
    local_unsetkey("F2");
    local_setkey("save_buffer",         "F2");
}

F2 saves the buffer.

If my .jedrc contains:

%   () = evalfile("cua");
define global_mode_hook (hook)
{
    local_unsetkey("F2");
    local_setkey("save_buffer",         "F2");
}

F2 does not save the buffer.

How can I make assignments in .jedrc that will be in effect regardless
of which mode I select and regardless of what type file I'm editing?

2nd question:
In order to get the statements from .jedrc above into this message
I had to load .jedrc into less and use the mouse (gpm) to copy
those statements even though I had a copy of jed opening the same file.

How do I get mouse selections in jed to use the gpm copy buffer so
that text selected in jed can be pasted in another program?

BTW,
    This is CLI jed in Debian Squeeze.

Thanks,
Mike