[Jed-users-l] registers

Hello everyone, hi John,

A problem I have with "more recent" versions of Jed (0.99.18 currently) has
to do with how registers are saved and recalled.

In "earlier" versions of jed, you could call a register at the prompt
"Register name: " with one single keypress. The register would then be
created or inserted.

In "newer" versions, after the "Register name:" prompt, once you enter the
register name (say "m"), you have to confirm this with "ENTER", which
wasn't the case before. I admit this allows register names to have more
than one character, but I can hardly see the use of this. One-char
registers are all I need, without that extra ENTER.

This makes it impossible, as far as I can see, to use registers in the mini
buffer (within a macro, for instance) because the ENTER keypress is caught
by the macro instead of recalling the register.

Anyway to bring back the old one-char no-ENTER registers?

Best to all,

Alain