Re: [Jed-users-l] How many people use JED?

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Jörg Sommer <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Daniel Carrera <dcarrera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea of how popular JED is? I
>> found out about JED through Wikipedia. I knew of it from before, but
>> this was my first time trying it.
>
> At least 1500 people have installed the Debian package. If they use it
> or how many of these systems are multi‐user system, is unknown.
>
> http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=jed

Interesting, thanks.

That number is enough for an order of magnitude calculation. Assume
that Debian is indicative of Linux at large, and that Debian's market
share is ~15%. That makes ~10,000 downloads. Assume that the number of
people who download JED but don't use it exceeds the number that
install it in multi-user systems. I think we can reasonably estimate
between 500 and 5,000 JED users.

Daniel.
--
Writing software to spec is like walking on water... It's easy as long
as it's frozen.