Re: [Jed-users-l] JED configuration

On Dec 25, 2010, at 5:17 PM, Jörg Sommer wrote:

> Hi Henry,
>
> Henry Harpending <harpend@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Good luck with jed and xjed.  Only recently can emacs use anti-aliased
>> fonts, but it still takes way long to load.  Jed has provided me with
>> an attractive fast emacs clone for years, including nice fonts even.
>> Now you should try to understand the difference between what ^Y does
>> and ^C^Y.  I can't quite figure it out myself.
>
> For which mode? ^C is the prefix for mode special keys.

Again I invoke senility: it is my own old assignment.  Here is the explanation, in case it is still useful for the current version of Jed.

In the past an annoyance on linux was that Jed had its own paste buffer, so pasting a selection from within Jed was different from pasting a selection from X.  I found a commented-out function to cut and paste the X buffer but it was commented out in the .sl source.  I experimented with it and discovered that a function it called simply did not work with Ubuntu.  I replaced it (I can't remember what it was) with xsel() and put the following in my ~/.jedrc:

public define cb_copy_region_to_clipboard()
     { () = pipe_region("xsel -b"); }
public define cb_insert_clipboard()
     { () = run_shell_cmd("xsel -b  -o ");}
public define cb_kill_region()
     {  ()=dupmark();
        () = pipe_region("xsel -b");
         yp_kill_region();
     }
    setkey("cb_copy_region_to_clipboard",         "^C^C"  );
    setkey("cb_insert_clipboard",                       "^C^Y");
      setkey("cb_kill_region",          "^C^W"        );

These assignments still work fine for me.  I just now grepped in the jed library directory, and there seem to be none of these functions there, even commented out as they were in the previous version.  At any rate they work for me today, and I put them up here in case they are still useful to Mr. Carrera or anyone else.  Do you know how the current jed handles cutting and pasting from X?  Should not my setkey() calls be instead to setkey_reserved() or something like that?

Thanks, Best Regards, Henry Harpending