Re: Repositories

Hi Mark,

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:04:54 +0100, "Olesen, Mark" <Mark.Olesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>Are you now moving from svn -> git?
>If so, I can maybe stop relying on git svn.

I have been using git since last spring or early summer.  My svn
repositories are essentually mirrors of my git ones.  I used git-svn
for a short while but I stopped after some issue arose.  Now I have a
semi-automatic script that I use to push changes to the svn
repositories.

>Do you have a readonly http transport for the repos too?

At one point I did, but I read that there are issues with this method
and the use of `git repack`.

>Q:
>Are you thinking of moving or mirroring elsewhere?

Not really.  Based upon my experience with the opensvn repository that
I am using (opensvn.csie.org), I would rather not rely upon a third
party if I can easily avoid it.  I have personally experienced no
problems with opensvn but I know that others have, and there is no
guarantee that it will not vanish one day.  As I recall, the opensvn
repository is run by a group of self-described "enthusiastic students"
at the university.  Young people tend to follow bandwagons and judging
from the fact that no more new projects are allowed, they have lost
their enthusiasm.

>Either repo.or.cz or github.com come to mind.

I am aware of these two, and did consider using github.

>With repo.or.cz, you can have it mirror any git repo and it also has the
>web interface for browsing.

It also appears to support cloning via http.  I suppose that I could
simply create a mirror there for those that want http access.  But at
this point it is unclear to me how many will actually be cloning these
repositories.  If there is any interest, I can setup a mirror.

>I'm currently using github for my own stuff (http://github.com/olesenm)
>[although they seem to have an outage right now]. This has some very
>nice features, including git/http transport, and a download button that
>makes a tarball of the latest repository version (for people without any
>git whatsoever).

I have have a script that creates nightly tarballs of my code and
makes them accessable at <http://www.jedsoft.org/snapshots/>.

Overall I am happy with git.  There was a learning curve but I have a
workflow going that agrees with my habits.