Re: Orthogonality beetween keybinding and language modes [was: "RE: Your enhanced Perl mode for JED (fwd)"]

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, G. Milde wrote:

... another problem: namely, that of orthogonality between main editing
modes (i.e.  keybindings)

This is what I call emulation modes (or emulations).
and language-specific modes.
[cut]
or simply modes (there are task-specific modes like text-mode or
mail-mode as well).

Thank you first of all for fixing the terminology, which is definitely important.

I notice you don't mention IDE mode, which as I said, has been my choice
for some years now.

AFAIK, ide emulation uses ^D for the _Reserved_Key_Prefix. Check with
Help>Describe Variable.

This is definitely good to know!

... should I infer that IDE mode is NOT modern by today's "standards?"

No, but IDE is an emulation mode. The *emulation* should not define a
Mode menu but set up menu entries in the main menu structure.

I understand. However it's been working fine for me thus far. I don't see that as a *major* problem.

What do you recommend? Should I switch to CUA instead? Is it reasonably
similar?

IDE is fine, if you like the keybindings. (I would not call it "modern"
though.)

Personally, I use CUA with a local setup that brings back some of my most
beloved IDE keybindings (like ^B==format-paragraph and the ^K map).

Well, we have something in common I guess! :D

The perl mode directly defines in its local keymap a set of "first class"
keybindings (which I regard WRONG, as this can interfere with emulation
modes):

definekey("indent_line",     "\t",   $1);
[cut]
And it fails to define "reserved" keybindings for perl-specific aktions.
Compare pymode.sl:

definekey_reserved("py_shift_right", ">", mode);
definekey_reserved("py_shift_left", "<", mode);
definekey_reserved("set_selective_display", "f", mode);

I wish I had the know-how to hack perl mode upgrading it to do similarly well...

Whatever, I feel a somewhat unsatisfactory sensation: just as if there
were precious gems in the tool I'm routinely using, but they're hidden
enough as not to allow me to use it to the effect of exploiting its full
power... :(

This is a common problem with most software.

Yep, that's life. And if it were not for Jed, I would probably be on notepad on some osen and on editors that would just beep randomly at my pressing keys unknowingly on other ones...

and all this... "only" because I'm not using emacs emulation.

Actually this has nothing to do with the emulation but rather with the
perl mode.

Actually, I must acknowledge that.

Michele
--