hooks and modes

Hello.....

I want to install Jed's HTML mode. To that end, I've RTFM - as far as
that goes, as well as Googling to death "mode, hook, jed, etc"

html.sl does exist in the JEDROOT/lib/

I think that my problem is that I do not yet understand the
relationship between a mode and its "hook". Do I need a hook for every
mode that I use? At any rate, I have no syntax highlighting and no
HTML mode. Could someone set me on the correct path please. TIA...
--
Duke Normandin
dukeofperl(at)ml1(dot)net