Re: How do I set up a template?

Michele Dondi <blazar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is much appreciated. I hope someone will "give me a fish" re the hook
> for non-existent files. In the meantime I would certainly prefer a single
> keystroke, but unfortunately I cannot devise one which would be easy for
> me to use and not conflict with... anything else! So I renamed the
> function to insert_template and added a completion for it.

Something like this may work:

   define global_mode_hook (hook)
   {
      variable mode;
      (mode,) = what_mode ();
      if (bobp() and eobp ())
        {
	   % An empty buffer.  Insert a template file
	   variable file = expand_filename ("~/.jed/templates/$mode.tpl"$);
	   () = insert_file (file);

Here, the value of the mode variable will be set to the name of the
mode.  For example, it will be "C" for c-mode, "perl" for perl-mode,
etc.  The corresponding template files are

   ~/.jed/templates/C.tpl
   ~/.jed/templates/perl.tpl
        .
	.

Note: I have tested none of the above, but I believe that the basic
idea is correct.