Re: How do I set up a template?

Hi,

2008/10/29 Michele Dondi <blazar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> This is much appreciated. I hope someone will "give me a fish" re the hook
> for non-existent files

The templates.sl script at
http://jedmodes.sourceforge.net/mode/templates/ should do the trick. On
your Debian box you probably have it if you have the jed-extra package
installed.

If you add the lines
define perl_mode_hook()
{
   insert_template();
}

to your .jedrc, the template will be automatically inserted when you open
a new perl file.

> One improvement that sprang to mind is as follows: the current code (I can
> understand it!) loads a template based on a mode. But a given language mode
> may be selected according to one or more extentions. Is there a way to
> recover for which extention was it loaded? For example, I may be editing .pl
> or .pm files... And I definitely want a different template for modules.

You can do that by creating two template files: template.pl and template.pm.

> OTOH, now that I think of it, .pl is a *common* extension for Perl programs
> but nowhere even near to a standard, and I may want the usual perl template
> for any file which perl mode is actually selected, whereas .pm is actually
> standard.

OK, make one template file: perl.tpl

> Yep, as far as I'm seeing, it seems I can understand well enough what is
> being done. Of course I miss the definitions of a bazillion predefined or
> library functions that would be useful to get... anything done.

If you know Ruby, you can use it from S-Lang with the Ruby module at
http:/www.cheesit.com/downloads/slang/slruby.html
Ruby has some good libraries, though not quite as many as Perl.