Re: problem with non ascii chars in xjed on kubuntu 7.10

Hallo G.,

"G. Milde" <milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On  1.12.07, Jörg Sommer wrote:
>> Try this fix
>
>> +   dfa_define_highlight_rule("[^ -~]+", "normal", mode);
>
> Thanks Jörg for this fix. It works (here) and will be part of the next
> version of jedmodes.sf.net/mode/pymode/
>
> What does it do exactly?

It assigns a colour to all non‐ascii charaters. It seams DFA highlighting
has no rule to colour negative characters, what the subcharacters of
UTF‐8 characters are. Before I used the workaround to assign a colour to
non‐ascii characters:

    % Workaround to make UTF-8 characters are display correctly, not as
    % <C3><nn> or <E2><nn><nn>
    dfa_define_highlight_rule("\xC2.", "normal", name);
    dfa_define_highlight_rule("\xC3.", "normal", name);
    dfa_define_highlight_rule("\xE2..", "normal", name);
    dfa_define_highlight_rule("\xE3..", "normal", name);
    dfa_define_highlight_rule("\xE4..", "normal", name);

But I found out that's enough to say it should colour all non‐ascii
characters.

One might say that Jed displays the UTF‐8 characters so broken, because
it has no colour for them. He knows only about ascii characters. So
telling him a colour and he knows how to show them. :-)

> Could it help to overcome the display problem with Umlauts in other modes
> too?

Yes.

Bye, Jörg.
--
Der Mensch hat die Atombombe erfunden.
Keine Maus der Welt käme auf die Idee, eine Mausefalle zu konstruieren.