Re: .Xdefaults being ignored

Jörg Sommer wrote:
Hi David,

David Gressett <jdgressett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just updated Fedora Core 6 on my Linux machine to Fedora 7, and it
broke my xjed startup. I had an .Xdefaults file to set geometry and font so as to produce an xjed window big enough to see on my 1280x1024 display. Now, after the OS upgrade, the .Xdefaults file is being ignored.

How about other applications? Do they ignore ~/.Xdefaults too?

At me (Debian) the ~/.Xdefaults file is not handled by the system:
% grep -r 'X[rd]' /etc/X11/Xsession* $(which startx xinit)
/etc/X11/Xsession:SYSRESOURCES=/etc/X11/Xresources
/etc/X11/Xsession:USRRESOURCES=$HOME/.Xresources
/etc/X11/Xsession.xfree86:SYSRESOURCES=/etc/X11/Xresources
/etc/X11/Xsession.xfree86:USRRESOURCES=$HOME/.Xresources
/usr/bin/startx:# for .Xresources files and merge them in, startup up a window manager,

I've put all my resource configurations in ~/.Xresources.

I can add the appropriate options to the xjed command line and they work , but I would much prefer to revive .Xdefaults. Does anybody know how to fix this?

You must call xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults if you use a non‐standard file
name. Yes, the name of the file changed somewhen in the past.

Bye, Jörg.
xrdb fixed the problem. Thanks.