Re: .Xdefaults being ignored

Hi David,

David Gressett <jdgressett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just updated Fedora Core 6 on my Linux machine to Fedora 7, and it
> broke my xjed startup. I had an .Xdefaults file to set geometry and font
> so as to produce an xjed window big enough to see on my 1280x1024
> display. Now, after the OS upgrade, the .Xdefaults file is being ignored.

How about other applications? Do they ignore ~/.Xdefaults too?

At me (Debian) the ~/.Xdefaults file is not handled by the system:
% grep -r 'X[rd]' /etc/X11/Xsession* $(which startx xinit)
/etc/X11/Xsession:SYSRESOURCES=/etc/X11/Xresources
/etc/X11/Xsession:USRRESOURCES=$HOME/.Xresources
/etc/X11/Xsession.xfree86:SYSRESOURCES=/etc/X11/Xresources
/etc/X11/Xsession.xfree86:USRRESOURCES=$HOME/.Xresources
/usr/bin/startx:# for .Xresources files and merge them in, startup up a window manager,

I've put all my resource configurations in ~/.Xresources.

> I can add the appropriate options to the xjed command line and they work
> , but I would much prefer to revive .Xdefaults. Does anybody know how to
> fix this?

You must call xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults if you use a non‐standard file
name. Yes, the name of the file changed somewhen in the past.

Bye, Jörg.
--
Fazit: „Schießen Sie nicht mit dem Geiger!“