Re: python-mode and fold-mode

Hallo G.,

"G. Milde" <milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12.06.07, Jörg Sommer wrote:

>> > However, the idea of a special minor_mode_key_prefix() function seems
>> > still too complicated for me.
>
>> Do you mean complicated in the sense of difficult to unterstand or in the
>> sense of more than is needed aka bloat?
>
> Both.
>
> Instead of introducing one more method of user-configuration, I
> would like to rely on the established methods "custom variables"

That's the same like a lookup function, but much more static. The
question is, if we need flexibility at this point.

> and "(mode) hooks".

Mode hooks have a drawback: you can't reimplement them without using the
old one. So, if my minor mode defines a mail_mode_hook nobody else can
define one or my hook is lost.

> The standard rcs.sl mode suggest some keybindings in the Usage
> documentation.

I don't think this is as userfriednly as it can be.

>> > I suppose it will be simpler and easier to comprehend for a user if
>> > site.sl supplied an auxiliary function for the "fold" bindings like the
>> > example below.
>
>> I would like to have a generic way. Maybe we have so few minor modes,
>> because it's difficult to integrate them.
>
>> For example, I would like to add some functions from the debian mode for
>> mails, but I don't want to go to the global keymap, because those keys
>> aren't global, and overwriting the settings of mail doesn't sound good,
>> too.
>
>> minor_mode_key_prefix("debian", "mail")
>
> The "normal" way would be to define a mail-mode hook.

See above, this doesn't work.

Schöne Grüße, Jörg.
--
Nutze die Talente, die du hast. Die Wälder wären sehr still,
wenn nur die begabtesten Vögel sängen.                (Henry van Dyke)