Re: python-mode and fold-mode

On 24.05.07, John E. Davis wrote:
> =?UTF-8?Q?J=C3=B6rg?= Sommer <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >Yes, good argument. Why uses fold_mode the ^C prefix?

In my setup, fold_mode uses the ^E prefix (as does python_mode and
latex_mode and ...).

> When the mode was written, jed's main emulation (and perhaps all it
> emulated at the time) was emacs.  As such, ^C was used.

Later this was changed to the _Reserved_Key_Prefix to make it
configurable. AFAIK, CUA is the only emulation that makes use of this
configurability to change the _Reserved_Key_Prefix from ^C to ^E.

> Also this is consistent with the view that folding mode is a "minor"
> mode, and minor modes make use of the _Reserved_Key_Prefix.

Here is the real problem (as I see it):

* Looking at the source of many JED modes, I see definekey_reserved()
  widely used by "major" modes (language modes). This is why I adopted
  this practice for my "major" modes as well.

* In contrast, my "minor" modes (the ones that are "orthogonal" to
  language modes) do not use definekey_reserved but either "obvious"
  bindings or leave the binding of keys to the user.

Could it become a common convention, that "major" modes use
definekey_reserved() while "minor" modes use other (or no) bindings?

Thanks

Guenter