Re: Ann: Jörg's LaTeX mode r100

Hello G.,

G. Milde schrieb am Thu 26. Apr, 12:06 (+0200):
> On 21.04.07, Jörg Sommer wrote:
>
> > What is JLM:
> >   JLM is a very good LaTeX mode for Jed. Its aim is to help the user by
>
> IMO, it would sound more academic and less PR to say
>
>     JLM is an advanced LaTeX mode for Jed. ...

Changed. Thanks for this idea.

> > I would be very happy about feature requests, bug reports or any kind of
> > feedback to know if someone uses my mode and if he's satisfied.
>
> * After evaluating latex.sl, I get a *traceback* buffer with 18 lines of
>
>      ***string***:1: 1 object(s) left on the stack

Yes, I know. I use stkcheck, but I also use the stack. Is there a way to
temporary disable stkcheck?

> * latex.sl
>
>  + If there is an error in the latex run, I get an error
>      (compose) finished with error
>    with traceback:
>
>    /home/milde/.jed/lib/latex_external.sl:1179:compose_sig_handl:Application Error
>      Local variables for compose_sig_handl:
>    	Integer_Type pid = 1
>    	Integer_Type flags = 4
>    	Integer_Type status = 1
>    	Undefined_Type master_file = Undefined_Type
>    	Undefined_Type do_rerun = Undefined_Type
>    	Undefined_Type logfile = Undefined_Type
>    	Undefined_Type lines = Undefined_Type
>    	Undefined_Type cmd = Undefined_Type
>
>    but no buffer with a log of the compilation or the latex error.

Yes, you must hit ^Cy to get the log. I find it very annoying, if the log
window pops up while I'm typing. Therefore, only this error message
should be in the message line. Or what else did you expect?

I don't know, how to prevent this backtrace.

>  + The construct
>
>      implements("latex");
>
>     In Slang 2, re-evaluating works, if the existing namespace is declared
>     by the same file.

Thanks for this hint.

>   + The rule
>
>       dfa_define_highlight_rule("[ \t]+$", "trailing_whitespace", name);
>
>     leads to black bg for trailing whitespace if the color
>     "trailing_whitespace" is not defined.

Then your color scheme is broken.
% grep -l trail svn/jed-upstream/lib/colors/**/*(.)
svn/jed-upstream/lib/colors/black1.sl
svn/jed-upstream/lib/colors/black2.sl
svn/jed-upstream/lib/colors/black3.sl
svn/jed-upstream/lib/colors/black4.sl
svn/jed-upstream/lib/colors/blue1.sl
svn/jed-upstream/lib/colors/blue2.sl
svn/jed-upstream/lib/colors/blue3.sl
svn/jed-upstream/lib/colors/default1.sl
svn/jed-upstream/lib/colors/update-colors
svn/jed-upstream/lib/colors/white1.sl
svn/jed-upstream/lib/colors/Xjed/black4.sl
svn/jed-upstream/lib/colors/Xjed/elegant.sl
svn/jed-upstream/lib/colors/Xjed/modern.sl
svn/jed-upstream/lib/colors/Xjed/night.sl
svn/jed-upstream/lib/colors/Xjed/pastel0.sl

> * Documentation:
>
>    1 Installation . . . on Unix-like systems
>
>    It might be good to mention that jed comes packaged with many
>    distributions (and maybe add the minimal version required with jlm).

Obviously, you need Jed. You can download the current version from
\url{http://www.jedsoft.org/jed/download.html}, but it is also part of many
distributions. You need at least version 0.99.18 with SLang 2 support (run
\verb+jed --version+ to check it).

>       This documentation assumes that the variable
>       `_Reserved_Key_Prefix' == "^C".
>       This is the default in Jed's "emacs" emulation.
>
>       The "CUA" emulation sets it to "^E", so, e.g., a keybinding "^Ce<"
>       will become "^Ee<".

Thanks for this hint.

>   + Documentation mismatch
>
>       %\variable{Integer_Type LaTeX_Rerun}
>       custom_variable("LaTeX_Config", "latex");

Fixed.

>     It would be nice, if the pre-defined configs were listed (even better
>     explained) or a pointer to a list given in the online doc.

When documentation grows, I'll add this.

>   + It would be nice, if latex-external>view() would check if the output
>     file is still up-to-date and run compose() if not.

How should I check if the output is up‐to‐date? Use rubber for this and
hit ^Cc before ^Cv. And I think that viewing an outdated document is a
valid function. Do you use source specials?

Thanks for you clues and idea.

Bye, Jörg.
--
Man soll Denken lehren, nicht Gedachtes.