Re: [jed]grep.sl feature request

On 20.04.07, Lechee.Lai@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I've have my vgrep.sl base on yours but quiet simple main different the
> look feel for grep output hope same concept can happen on grep.sl since
> I'm work on really deep directory project

> Standard grep out like than
> /foo1/foo2/foo3.............:10: foo()
> /foo1/foo2/foo3.............:10: foo1()
> /foooooooooooooooooooooo1/fxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoo2/foxxxxxxxxxo3.............:10: foo()

> Most time my directory over than 40 chars hard to see the real code
> So I make the simply parse for standard grep output
> File: /foo1/foo2/foo3
> 10:foo()
> 10:foo1()
> File: /foooooooooooooooooooooo1/fxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoo2/foxxxxxxxxxo3.............:
> 10: foo()

I see. However, my needs are typically different: looking for a pattern
in many different files in one directory. In this case it would be a
waste of screenspace to have the filenames on a different line.

So, while I would not make your output formatting the default, I wonder
whether other users have similar needs and thus it should be included as
a variant in grep.sl.

> The File: is absolute path so easy use on next time even in different
> directory

As filelist uses the buffer-directory as base, it should work with
shortened filenames, as long as you do not move the saved output to a
different directory.

Please do not use TOFU (text on top full quote below).

All mail to the list is archived (and I keep local copies of outgoing
mails as well), so there is no need to duplicate. Quoting parts of the
message you are answering to is fine.

Guenter