Re: UTF-8 and Regular Expressions

On 19.04.07, John E. Davis wrote:

> The iso-lat*.sl files contain a number of calls to define_case and
> define_word that are unnecessary in UTF-8 mode.  So, I will make the
> execution of those statements conditional upon the value of
> _slang_utf8_ok.

Thanks a lot.

I wonder if you could consider my other proposal: let the old
"code-setting" files define a variable for a fallback code.

I assume in most cases, people with mixed encodings are moving from a
legacy 8-bit "code-page" encoding to UTF-8. And the info about the old
encoding is still in the users jed.rc.

This way, I can keep in my jed.rc a line::

 require("iso-latin.sl");           % iso-latin1 encoding

and

* !if (_slang_utf8_ok), it would set up the case matches and word chars

* in UTF-8 mode it would define the fallback encoding to try if a file
  contains illegal characters.

Guenter