Re: Where is push_defaults?

On  5.04.06, Dave Laird wrote:
> Good morning, Guenter...
>
> On Tuesday 04 April 2006 11:49 pm, G. Milde wrote:
>
> > By "apply", do you mean "copy" or "copy and install"?

> ... I copied them to the Jed home directory of /usr/local/jed/lib.
> Is there another procedure I should follow when adding files I download
> from the Jed repository?

While this is perfectly legal, it is not the recommended way.

 * The directory is not world-writeable, so this scheme will not work,
   e.g., for a non-root user under a Unix-like system.

 * It could be hard to keep track which files are "standard" and which
   are local extensions.

 * If 2 files share the name, the next install will overwrite your
   local changes (or e.g. help.sl from Jedmodes).

Therefore I recommend to use (on Unix) something like

  ~/.jed/lib/     for user provide extensions (e.g. if you are the only
                  jed user on the system)

  /usr/local/jed/local-lib/  for system wide local extensions

together with the "libdir", "tm", and "make_ini" modes (from Jedmodes)
and in .jedrc

  % Debian sets Jed_Home_Directory to ~/.jed/ if this dir exists
  require(path_concat(Jed_Home_Directory, "lib/libdir.sl"));
  add_libdir(path_concat(Jed_Home_Directory, "lib"));
  % add_libdir("/usr/local/jed/local-lib"));
  Jed_Highlight_Cache_Dir = path_concat(Jed_Home_Directory, "lib");
  % make slsh skripts available in jed
  set_jed_library_path(strcat(get_jed_library_path(),
  			    ",", "/usr/share/slsh/local-packages"));
  append_libdir("/usr/share/slsh");

Every time you copy a new mode (or new version) into a directory, run
make_ini() on it to update the ini.sl initialization file (have a look
at this generated file to see what it is used for) and the documentation.
Also see the doc of libdir and make_ini.

This way you will have autoloads for public functions, menu extensions
for some modes (e.g. ch_table) and on-line documentation for many more
public functions as well (I.e. Help>Describe_Function will give help
instead of just saying "undocumented").

> > If you add
> >
> >   autoload("push_defaults", "sl_utils");
> >
> > before the require("ispell_init"); it should work.
>
> It works! It works! Thank you. Out of morbid curiosity does this minor
> issue have anything to do with the fact that the box on which this is
> being installed is completely across the country from me?

No. It could be on the other half of the earth. I suppose the issue was
hidden by some other mode containing the needed autoload statement and
evaluated before ispell_init. (This is also, why many such small glichtes
escape the attention of the developers.)

keydefs.sl
----------

> I'll give it a try. I believe the reason I first began using the odd
> notation was a non-standard keyboard was giving me fits. Over the year and
> one-half since I added the setkey additions to my .jedrc, I have long
> since changed keyboards a few times over.

Take care, that the value of the $TERM environment variable is set
correctly. If adapting TERM does not help, I would still recommend to
cure the offending definitions in jed.rc after loading keydefs.sl, e.g.

  require("keydefs");
  % correct some variable settings
  Key_Ctrl_Up = "\e[5^";

and use the symbolic names in your definitions.

Milde ife.et.tu-dresden.de