Re: x-keydefs.sl

Dear Thei (and all other interested jed users),

On 17.01.06, Thei Wijnen wrote:

> I have similar wishes for all keys to be defined for Windows
> and unix/linux environments and therefore I have updated my
> keydefs.sl to deal with that.
> Please have a look and comment if you want.

I looked at your keydefs and while it did not solve the problem of unknown
(to me) key strings for DOS/Windows, it gave some more insight into the issue
of the numeric keypad.

> %{{{ Define the keys in the alphanumeric keypad (VT220 codes)

It seems to me, that the strings reported for IBMPC correspond to the VT220
standard, so I added a comment on this in my x-keydefs.sl

> variable Key_Num_0	= "\eOp";       %  numeric_0
> variable Key_Num_9	= "\eOy";       %  numeric_9

The values of these are non-problematic, the names differ between your
extended keydefs and my x-keydefs.

In x-keydefs, variable names are chosen to match X-Window's keysymdef.h, e.g.

  variable Key_KP_0         = "\eOp";

 * Would it pose problems to switch to this naming convention for you?
 * Is there a rationale for your name choices that could be more convincing
   than reflecting keysymdef.h? In this case I would let John decide.

> variable Key_Num_PF1	= "\eOP";       %  numeric_PF1 (num_lock)

My xjed does not recognise the [Num Lock] key, as it does not send any
key string (but is used by X to change the keysyms for the keys on the numeric
keypad). I am not sure whether it is wise (or needed) to define a variable for
it. (My suggestion for edt.sl below assumes it to be defined under the name of
Key_Num_Lock.)

> variable Key_Num_Comma  = "\eOl"; %  numeric_comma (not available on PC-keyboard)
> variable Key_Num_Period = "\eOn"; %  numeric_period

On my xjed, I get it with the [comma|delete] key and active Num Lock, that
is why I have

  variable Key_KP_Separator = "\eOl";   % numeric_comma: [,|Del] with Num Lock in X
  variable Key_KP_Delete    = "\eOn";   % numeric_period: [,|Del] without Num Lock in X

> variable Key_Help       = "\e[28~";     %  Help key on VT220
> variable Key_Do         = "\e[29~";     %  Do   key on VT220

Are these available on a PC keyboard?
Are there possible clashes with other key strings?

> variable Key_Gold	= "\eOP";       %  gold key

Is the notation of a "Gold key" used anywhere outside of EDT?
Otherwise, I would prefer if the variable Key_Gold were defined in edt.sl.

I see that it is set to the "Num Lock" but could imagine that it should be
configurable which key is used as Gold on a standard PC keyboard. Maybe
something like

  custom_variable("Key_Gold", "Key_Num_Lock");

in edt.sl could offer simple configurability.

> variable Key_Gold_0	= "\eOP\eOp";   %  numeric_0
> variable Key_Gold_Enter	= "\eOP\eOM";   %  numeric_enter

I do not think it is wise to define variables for key-combos, instead I
would use

  setkey("edt_togglekp", Key_Gold+Key_Gold);	  %% Gold-Gold toggles keypad
  setkey("edt_help",	 Key_Gold+Key_KP_Divide); %% help

and so on. This way, a different choice for Key_Gold would be recognised by
all key bindings including the gold key.

> variable Key_Shift_Num_0	= "\eO8";	%  Shift_numeric_0
> variable Key_Shift_Num_Period	= "\eO9";	%  Shift_numeric_period

Are these really used?

My xjed on Debian with X.Org does send different key strings with Shift
but it might be possible to change this with x_set_keysym (it could become
problematic, however, as Shift also modifies the keysym sent by the keypad
keys).

So I still hope someone will find
> >out the strings sent by
on an IBMPC under DOS or Windows for