Re: Proposed new addition to Jed...

Good morning, Morten...

On Thursday 12 January 2006 01:09 am, Morten Bo Johansen wrote:

> You can use tab-completion to select the individual entries. If you have a
> list of e.g. these words:
>
>   cloddish
>   cold
>   cold as charity
>   cold-blooded
>   coldhearted
>
> then you can select the word "cloddish" by typing "cl" <tab> and it will be
> completed. Selecting any of the others, you would type "cold" and then use
> <space> to cycle among the four possible completions.

Somehow this makes impeccable sense after a good night's sleep. ;-)

> > This is fantastic! Thank you!
>
> I am glad you could use it!

In case anyone wonders, what you and others have created is approximates a
workalike for Wordperfect 5.1 for MS-DOS hailing back a few years ago,
with only modest keystroke differences, of course. Back in the early 80's
it was my favorite editor, and I wrote two books using it, and in 1990
when I made the transition to Linux/Unix, I stumbled on Jed and have been
using it ever since for everything from writing to e-mail.

The moby-thesaurus is a much-finer tool than the original thesaurus in
Wordperfect, and in combination with Aspell gives the users a text editor
that stands heads above the GUI competition in both power, speed and
flexibility. I admit I am astounded that it runs with dictd without any
perceivable memory hits; in fact, it is barely noticeable when loaded atop
KDE or Gnome, both of which eat a considerable amount of memory.

Jed now is not only the distinguished text editor of record, it is a fine
multi-purpose and very powerful text editor for general writing purposes,
and offers functionality that none of the other Unix/Linux text editors
have ever or will offer. Thank you to everyone involved in deploying this
new feature!

Dave
--
Dave Laird (Dave@xxxxxxxxxx)
The Used Kharma Lot / The Phoenix Project

An automatic & random fortune For the Minute from Unix fortunes:
Ozmosis:
	The inability of one's job to live up to one's self-image.
		-- Douglas Coupland, "Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated
		   Culture"