Re: Proposed new addition to Jed...

Good evening, Morten...

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 12:48 pm, Morten Bo Johansen wrote:

> I have attached "dict_lookup.sl" which will give you a convenient(?)
> interface to choosing a translation/synonym. It is something I have just
> cut out of my po_mode where it is used with Freedict Translation
> Dictionaries, but it can also be used with the moby-thesaurus. I had to
> make a few modifications, so it may have some rough edges. Instructions
> for installation and use are in the file.

VOILA! Houston, we have a thesaurus up here!

Yes, I added the following lines to my .jedrc:

() = evalfile ("dict_lookup.sl");
unsetkey("^[1");
setkey("dict_lookup_word","^[1");

Following instructions, I opened a huge text document (over 4,000 lines of
text) and highlighting the word obtuse, hit the hotkey ALT-1, and TAB, up
jumps a multi-lined list of words from the Thesaurus. Thinking I had
better test this thoroughly, I opened an abnormally large text file of
10,710 lines and still, no problem with memory in using the Thesaurus, as
Jed's memory usage is minimal for most workstations.

I tested this both on Red Hat, Ubuntu (Debian) and even my Pentium 133
running Debian, and it worked everywhere.

I can scroll up and down the list of words from the thesaurus, all of
which appear to be formatted very nicely, one word to a line, and I appear
to have complete control of the scrolling process.

If there are any rough edges, it would be how to select one of the words
from within the thesaurus word list.

I cannot fathom how to SELECT a word from within the thesaurus's list,
however, although it has already selected the first word in the thesaurus
list as its default. However, if I simply type one of the words from the
thesaurus into the mini-buffer (am I using the right terminology here?)
and hit ENTER, it neatly replaces the word I typed from the main thesaurus
list, replacing the original word in the document. Perhaps I am missing
something, and there is a keystroke to SELECT text from inside the
thesaurus, and if so, please pardon my lack of knowledge.

This is fantastic! Thank you!

Dave
--
Dave Laird (Dave@xxxxxxxxxx)
The Used Kharma Lot / The Phoenix Project

An automatic & random fortune For the Minute from Unix fortunes:
<mdorman> I'm a gnus person myself.  It's an editor!  It's a floorwax!
          It's a dessert topping!