Re: Proposed new addition to Jed...

Good morning, again, Günter,

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 05:08 am, G. Milde wrote:

> Could you send the code that produces the results you like?

It's not REALLY code, Günter. It's a bit of sleight-of-hand involving a
bash alias and, of course, Jed. Here's how it works...

I have Jed with a message opened on the screen. I select a word using
Jed's own copy/paste functions and then, using the default Jed menu to get
to the shell command, I type the alias that gives me dict -d
moby-thesaurus plus the contents of the paste buffer inside Jed. It is
cumbersome, but for the time being it works... sort of. As I said, I am
not a Slang programmer, although it does remind me faintly of my days
programming in Clipper and Xbase. 8-)

> > However, having a new Slang module which handles the new menu entry and
> > the mechanics for the thesaurus interchange would be a valuable new tool
> > for Jed.
>
> I could have a look at it or you could try using the documented template
> module at http://jedmodes.sf.net/doc/foo.sl
> (Which is, however an overkill for the intended mode. A better "model"
> (but with less comments) would be e.g. http://jedmodes.sf.net/mode/ding/

I am hoping someone with vastly more experience with Slang will create
this project and code it, as I am afraid anything I create on my own will
probably crash right on the network floor like a dead packet.

> > This possibly would be a Linux/Unix improvement, because I do not
> > know how one would go about implementing this feature in Windows, much
> > less if it is feasible.
>
> This mainly depends on the availability of the dict command for windows.
> (And on people willing to test.)

I just got Jed working on my laptop last weekend more out of frustration
than necessity with the default Windows XP text editor. Unfortunately, the
only Windows support for Dict is a client, which requires the presence
nearby of a running Unix or Linux server.

> > It would give Jed world-class powers as a text editor. What does everyone
> > have to say about this?
>
> We still need a mode to prepare coffee to be on par with Emacs ;-)

Start Jed
Check Coffee Pot for coffee
If not
   Make coffee
Endif
Run Jed

The next release will even pour the coffee if the robotics can be
completed on time.

Something like that??? ;-)

Dave
--
Dave Laird (Dave@xxxxxxxxxx)
The Used Kharma Lot / The Phoenix Project

An automatic & random fortune For the Minute from Unix fortunes:
Paper Rabies:
	Hypersensitivity to littering.
		-- Douglas Coupland, "Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated
		   Culture"