Proposed new addition to Jed...

Good morning, everyone...

I freely admit I am just an end-user of Jed, not a Slang programmer,
although sometimes I have had to modestly alter various .sl files in Jed
$HOME to make things work, such as recently with the UTF-8 problems with
flyspell. ;-)

However, with just a modest amount of poking around I have been able to
make the moby-thesaurus work with Jed, albeit from a shell command, and I
*like* what I see. That is because, for the better part of five or six
years, I have been using Jed strictly as a text editor, to compose nearly
everything I write because it is lightweight and very configurable. A
thesaurus would only add to that capability.

I can readily see that Aspell used in conjunction with Jed is a clear
improvement over the venerable Ispell I have used in Jed for years, as it
"hits" on more words and possibly has a better index, based upon what I
have read. Thus I see little to no reason to improve the spell-checking
function(s) in Jed since they already work quite nicely using Aspell.

However, having a new Slang module which handles the new menu entry and
the mechanics for the thesaurus interchange would be a valuable new tool
for Jed. This possibly would be a Linux/Unix improvement, because I do not
know how one would go about implementing this feature in Windows, much
less if it is feasible.

It would give Jed world-class powers as a text editor. What does everyone
have to say about this? Thanks to Günter for pointing me this direction to
begin with...

Dave
--
Dave Laird (Dave@xxxxxxxxxx)
The Used Kharma Lot / The Phoenix Project

An automatic & random fortune For the Minute from Unix fortunes:
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility.  And
vice versa.