Re: Jed problem(s) fixed... issues resolved...

Good morning, Paul...

I see you too, are a workaholic!

On Sunday 08 January 2006 08:46 am, you wrote:

> [this is a utf-8 message]

If you insist, I'll be a utf-8 kind of guy, but just because you asked...

> On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 13:29:19 -0800, Dave Laird <dlaird@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> > STEP 3]
> >
> > If you are going to use Jed as a text editor in anything remotely
> > resembling production work OR if you want to truly use either Ispell or
> > Aspell to perform spell-checking as you write, you will need to copy the
> > files for Ispell you downloaded over to the Jed/$HOME and install them
> > there.
>
> You can install the files in a subdirectory of your home directory, and
> prepend that directory to your slang load path, in fact that is the
> preferred way to install it - for one thing, when you upgrade JED you don't
> want to overwrite ispell.sl with JED's ispell.sl.

Ah, yes, there is that. I was counting on converting the masses over to
Jed, none of whom had ever seen it before. ;-) I've updated my humble
manual on this end to reflect the changes (above).

> > public variable Ispell_Letters = Assoc_Type[String_Type, "a-zA-Z"];
>
> I will probably replace the current default with this after I've tested
> ispell.sl in UTF-8 mode.  I've installed aspell 0.60.4, unfortunately it
> looks like flyspell won't work in utf8-mode, except with ascii characters.
> I get a runtime error, it seems JED's keyword highlighting won't work with
> wide characters: if I replace

> () = define_keywords_n ("C", "asmforintnewtry", 3, 0);
>
> with
>
> () = define_keywords_n ("C", "asmförintnewtry", 3, 0);
>
> I get the error
>
> Keyword list is improperly formed.
>
> strbytelen("ö") gives me 2, so I try
>
> () = define_keywords_n ("C", "asmföintnewtry", 3, 0);
>
> which doesn't give an error, but it doesn't highlight "fö" either.

Everyone who uses UTF-8 around the world are looking forward to the
solution of this thorn in your side. No pressure at all, just everyone is
watching. <grin>

Just for the heck of it, I have @(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20
(but really Aspell 0.60.3) working just fine with Jed in ASCII mode,
simply modifying the name of the spelling application from Ispell to
Aspell. It works flawlessly. I'm particularly impressed with Aspell
including the capitalized versions of both names in their dictionary.

As soon as I have a chance, I'm going to see if I can figure out how to
make dictd (using Moby-Thesaurus), work with Jed with a highlighted word,
as well, perhaps as a hot key/on key event.

When I had Jed open and running in a 3000 line text file I did a shell
call to dictd and it loaded with whatever word I gave it, so it appears
having 256 M of memory is no restriction, at least in Linux. At 512 M it
doesn't even eat into the virtual memory.

For example, sending dict -d moby-thesaurus <word> activates just the
thesaurus, which returns synonyms for the highlighted word, and waits for
a keystroke to end. How difficult would it be to put that in an expanding
buffer, for when there are hundreds of synonyms? <evil grin>

Men were not meant to live by programmer's editors entirely.

Dave
--
Dave Laird (Dave@xxxxxxxxxx)
The Used Kharma Lot / The Phoenix Project

An automatic & random fortune For the Minute from Unix fortunes:
Living in LA is like not having a date on Saturday night.
		-- Candice Bergen