Re: Ispell possibly broken in latest Debian/Ubuntu?

Good evening again, Paul...

On Friday 06 January 2006 12:40 pm, you wrote:

> Which version of JED are you using?  Which version of ispell/aspell?  Is
> JED running in utf-8 mode?  I see that the default for Ispell_Letters
> causes problems in utf-8 mode, but no "loss of screen and color control".

I do not know if I am running Jed in UTF-8 mode, but from what you just
said, I may be. ;-)

Now that I am once again home (it is nearly 8:00 PM here on the West Coast
of the US) I have a bit more time to discuss this issue pragmatically,
from the comfort of my own chair. There are several empty spaces in my
information queue where I tried to provide the details about my default
configuration for Jed, and was not, at the time, able to tell you
everything you wanted to know, due to several considerations including
time. ;-)

First, all the libraries, excluding s-lang2, were installed from the
latest Ubuntu/Debian download repositories, and all are rated "stable",
but perhaps the problem lies with the repositories themselves, rather than
with the Jed binaries and libs. There are several reasons, which are
readily apparent to me, that this might be the case as Unbuntu appears to
be trying to be on the "bleeding edge" of Debian. Your results may differ.

I tried running the versions of Jed/Slang I described earlier with the
s-lang1, s-lang1a and s-lang 2 libraries, using all the development
releases, as well. Then, after I completed setting it up using the .DEB
archives, it WORKS just fine, but no ispell or flyspell functions
attached. Then, not entirely trusting my trusty versions of both ispell.*
and flyspell.* libraries, which I originally obtained from the Jed
repository (plus all their dependencies as listed on the web page), I
downloaded all the *latest* ispell/flyspell files from the repository, and
installed them (with the proper permissions in jed/$HOME, which is where
things started going nuts.

Because, when I made the move to Ubuntu, I never changed the two other
workstations I use on a frequent basis, I was able to see the version of
Jed I was using prior to the update to Unbuntu, and they remain still
stable, usable and have functional ispell/flyspell installations. Its
version is:

Jed Version: 0.99.16
S-Lang Version: 1.4.9

What I'm going to try this weekend, if time permits, is *removing* all
traces of Jed from the Ubuntu box, and compiling Jed 0.99.16 and Slang
1.49 from *true* (not Debian) sources, if I can locate the respective
sources somewhere, and then re-test with the ispell/flyspell libs.

It may not fly, and if you need more information to make an informed guess
about the roots of this problem, by all means ask. I'll try to update the
list regarding any forward progress on this end.

Dave
--
Dave Laird (Dave@xxxxxxxxxx)
The Used Kharma Lot / The Phoenix Project

An automatic & random thought For the Minute:
If the odds are a million to one against something occurring, chances
are 50-50 it will.