pesky link files on Mac OSX

I have jed 0.99.16 and slang 1.4.9 built from source on an old G4
PowerMac running OS X 10.3.1.

Editing a file, say .jedrc, in jed causes a link to be created in the
same directory:

$ ls -al .#.jedrc
lrwxr-xr-x  1 bob  bob  10 30 Aug 22:36 .#.jedrc -> bob@.13139

Now jed throws an error when I try to save the edited .jedrc; the save
can't be accomplished until the link, above, is removed. It acts like
a lock file.

How can I be free of this pesky business, and (extra credit question
<g>) what is causing it?

Best as per usual,

--
Bob Bernstein

          And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
          Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?