compiling xjed on suse 9.3 with XRENDERFONT enabled

Jed and xjed .99-17.111 compile painlessly, but when I then enable
anti-aliasing according to xrenderfont.txt in doc/txt, my compilation fails
when xterm.c includes Xft.h, and Xft.h uses all sorts of undefined structures
like FT_Library.  I have all the x11-org and freetype2 development packages
installed, and lots of recursive grepping reveals no definition of FT_Library
anywhere in header files.

Does anyone know a way out of this?

Thanks, Henry Harpending