Problems with Copy&Paste: backticks are missing, whitespace is wrong

When pasting some text into jed, everything is copied but the backticks.
When C&P between two consoles or into another editor, I don't have this
problem, so I think it got nothing to do with gpm.

Also, when I want to type a backtick in jed directly, I have to type it
twice before it appears. Perhaps jed eats up the first appearance of it?
Anyway, copying ```` into jed becomes `` here.

Another problem with C&P: if there is some whitespace at the beginning
of a line, it seems to be added to the beginning of the next line.
Example:

martinkl [~] jed --version
jed version: 0.99.15/Unix
 Compiled with GNU C 2.95
 S-Lang version: 1.4.4

 jed compile-time options:
  +LINE_ATTRIBUTES +BUFFER_LOCAL_VARS +SAVE_NARROW +TTY_MENUS
   +EMACS_LOCKING +MULTICLICK +SUBPROCESSES +DFA_SYNTAX +ABBREVS
    +COLOR_COLUMNS +LINE_MARKS +GPM_MOUSE

    Using JED_ROOT=/usr/share/jed

Thanks for your help,
Martin