Re: Disable jed.conf (was: Re: Intention of jed-script)

On 12.07.05, John E. Davis wrote:
> Joerg Sommer <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I think it is really necessary to _not_ load jed.conf some times. One
> >time is when jed is called as jed-script and the other situation when a
> >command line option is given, e.g. --no-etc-conf. How do you think?
>
> As previously mentioned, I do not believe that the problem is with
> jed's loading of jed.conf; rather the problem is with the contents of
> jed.conf.

While this is true in most cases, a command line option to disable loading
of defaults.sl or jed.conf would be much appreciated.

> If jed.conf does something that it should not in batch or script mode,
> then it should be modified to perform such operations in a conditional
> manner

This solves much problems, but not the following example:

  My jed.conf extends the jed-library-path by a private directory
  "~/.jed/lib", where I store my private and modified modes.

  To test a modes requirements, I would like to start an "unpatched" jed,
  so that any require() will load the standard version of a mode or fail
  if this mode doesnot exist in the distribution.

Also, the more common (and maybe more philosophical) problem is that the
Debian package used jed.conf for Debian-specific setup, especially
evaluating all files in /etc/jed-init.d/. It seems appropriate (some
would say "it is a requirement") to give users a possibility to
(temporarily) disable these Debian-specific changes.

Sincerely

Guenter

--
G.Milde web.de