Re: Esc-q and new line / line feed chars

On  2.05.05, Jack McDermot wrote:

> I use the Esc-q combination to wrap paragraphs after having edited them.
> However, I've noticed that jed inserts some sort of line break at the
> visual EOL, that is, at the place where the line is broken on the screen as
> a result of pressing Esc-q a line feed or new line character gets written
> to the file.

Actually, the line feeds only change place. They are there without
"Esc-x format-paragraph" too. Jed is a text-editor and this is the way
ASCII text is formatted.

There is an issue with UNIX, Mac, and DOS/Windows using different
conventions for the newline character, but jed does handle this
intelligent -- keep as is. The only way I remember this to be an issue
is when you are on a UNIX machine and create a new file: this one has
UNIX newlines (of course) and will fail on Windows machines. --
However, you can change this too.

> Is there a way to avoid this? Since January I often find myself
> exchanging text files with others who open them in programs where
> these characters cause them trouble to correctly wrap the text to their
> screens.

Some word-processors don't break lines or treat line-endings as
paragraph endings. Some word-processors (e.g. LyX) ask the user whether
ASCII text should be imported as lines or as paragraphs.

If you think this is a nice idea, you can write a function to convert all
inter-paragraph linebreaks into spaces. Every paragraph is then just
one very long line. One possibility would be to set WRAP to a really
high value and reformat, another to convert "\n\n" into some paragraph
separator and "\n" into " ".

You can even use this in a file-save hook to have automatic conversion
for all (or a specific subset of the) files. (See Help>Browse_Docs hooks
for doc on hooks and gzip.sl for an example.)

 Guenter

--
G.Milde web.de