Re: Esc-q and new line / line feed chars

From: "G. Milde" <g.milde@xxxxxx>

> However, I've noticed that jed inserts some sort of line break at the
> visual EOL, that is, at the place where the line is broken on the screen as > a result of pressing Esc-q a line feed or new line character gets written
> to the file.

Actually, the line feeds only change place. They are there without
"Esc-x format-paragraph" too.

You are obviously right; I just hadn't noticed it without running format-paragraph because the latter introduces a jagged look which is easy to detect.

Some word-processors don't break lines or treat line-endings as
paragraph endings. Some word-processors (e.g. LyX) ask the user whether
ASCII text should be imported as lines or as paragraphs.

As a new (and happy!) lyx user I just learnt this, thanks! "Import -> ASCII Text as Paragraphs" works like a charm. Unfornatunately others use other programs, so...

If you think this is a nice idea, you can write a function to convert all
inter-paragraph linebreaks into spaces. Every paragraph is then just
one very long line.

One possibility would be to set WRAP to a really
high value and reformat,

I tried the former but then as I continue typing (past the right hand side end of the screen) the line just gets shifted and its initial portion gets hidden.

another to convert "\n\n" into some paragraph separator and "\n" into " ". You can even use this in a file-save hook to have automatic conversion
for all (or a specific subset of the) files. (See Help>Browse_Docs hooks
for doc on hooks and gzip.sl for an example.)

That's what I'll do. Thanks!

/Jack