Esc-q and new line / line feed chars

Dear all

I've been using jed for a some years now, and never felt a need to post to this list [although I should have, at least to congratulate John for his excellent work!]. I just need to quickly ask you something:

I use the Esc-q combination to wrap paragraphs after having edited them. However, I've noticed that jed inserts some sort of line break at the visual EOL, that is, at the place where the line is broken on the screen as a result of pressing Esc-q a line feed or new line character gets written to the file. Is there a way to avoid this? Since January I often find myself exchanging text files with others who open them in programs where these characters cause them trouble to correctly wrap the text to their screens.

Thank you for any advice,

Jack McDermot