Re: Remap ^M

G. Milde <g.milde@xxxxxx> wrote:
> * let x_set_keysym support a wider range of keysyms, including
>   the ISO_Left_Tab (i.e. Shift-Tab) so it will work with
>   Xfree86-4 "out of the box".
>
>   %  one of the following should work:
>          x_set_keysym(0xFE20, '$', Key_Shift_Tab);
>          x_set_keysym(0xFE20, 0, Key_Shift_Tab);

I will to it this weekend--- it should be easy to do.

>The problem is, that when jed gets a ^M from a terminal, it has no way to
>tell whether this was produced by Ctrl-M or by Return. Remember, jed only
>gets a series of strings regardless of whether it is on the local machine
>(konsole, DOS, or X-terminal emulator) or on a remote machine accessed
>with, say, ssh.

Right-- this is just not possible.  I recommend that the return-key or
its equivalent generate a \r character, as is assumed now.  If the
terminal can distinguish between the Ctrl-M and the return-key, and
you want to exploit that difference, then map Ctrl-M to something
other than \r. As stated above, the next version of xjed will extend
the x_set_keysym function to all legal values of the keysym.