Re: Remap ^M

On 30.11.04, Joerg Sommer wrote:
> Marko Mahnic <marko.mahnic@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Joerg Sommer wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> is it possible to remap ^M in XJed? I tried it with
> >>    x_set_keysym(0x6d, '^', Key_Ctrl_M);    % Ctrl+M
> >> but this doesn't work.

What version of xjed are you using? In 0.99.16, x_set_keysym()
works only for keysyms in the range `0xFF00' to `0xFFFF'

% On 28 May 2003 John wrote to jed-users:
% (see http://www.ruptured-duck.com/jed-users-2003/msg00295.html)
% I will fix it in the next release.  When I wrote the code, there were
% no such keysyms below 0xFF00.

So, it should work with the newest jed version...

> > Unfortunately XJed, WJed and probably all other versions
> > of Jed convert the Return key into ^M, so it is impossible
> > to distinguish between them. Also Ctrl-Enter is converted
> > into ^J and TAB into ^I.

However, you can change the key string of Return, BS, and Tab as their
keysym is in the supported range.

I. e. Let <Return> return Key_Return and bind it to newline-and-indent (or
whatever you like) and use ^M for something else.

The problem is, that some modes and emulations might bind ^M to something
important. As it is a very common binding, be carefull to have a spare
xjed session open to be able to recover.

> > The keycodes should be reworked for the keys to be distinguished.
>
> > I have done this in fljed, but it is not ready, yet.

I have done this for xjed and it is available at Jedmodes as
http://jedmodes.sourceforge.net/mode/x-keydefs/

Because of backwards compatibility, remapping of Tab, BS, and Enter is not
done (but Esc is mapped to \e\e\e, assuming you can use Alt as Meta key).

G.Milde web.de