deactivating menus

It's a matter of taste, but I really dislike working with jed menus: they
massively interfere with my key-bindings.

Disabling the menu (under Linux) should be as easy as setting

#define JED_HAS_TTY_MENUS 0

in jed-feat.h. But it doesn't work that way: configure complains quite a lot if
you do that. So everytime I build a new jed I have to toy around with menu.sl
until I have my key-bindings back (which is OK), but the menu is still there
annoying me regularly.

Isn't there a way of turning it off completely before the build?

Thanks,

Alain