Colors and modes and stuff

Hi. I've been using jed for some time as my mail editor with mutt,
using muttmail.sl. Well, some of the stuff I'm about to ask are
propably somewhat rtfm stuff, but...

Is there a way to put install modes to some subdir in my home
directory, like ~/.jed/ or something?
I mean, I have muttmail.sl installed in some /usr/share/blah dir and I
have made some changes to it (removed greeting and changed colors) and
then if I, for some weird reason, would have to reinstall os I would
also have to reinstall the modes. And maybe customise them again in
case I had no backup (which I do).
If there would ~/.jed/ or something, then they would safe in the other
partition where my /home is and usable right after installing jed
again.

But now that I think about it, an idea rises from the depths: could it
be possible to just put some line in .jedrc that would make jed to
look for modes and stuff from ~/.jed/?

I was also about to ask about transparent backgrounds as I have
semi-transparent aterm, but that pretty much solved itself with a
little googling and setting color scheme to default1, although some
lines still have black background in muttmail.sl and some of the
colors are a bit too dark for my taste.
But a little editing should do the trick.