Regular expression replace -- docs?

I'm trying to use the regular expression replace capability in Jed.
But, I don't know how to insert the variable parts matched by a
pattern into the replacement.  For example, if my pattern is:

    aaa([0-9]*)bbb

the Perl-style replacement might be:

    xxx\1yyy

Does that capability exist in Jed?

I'm using emacs mode.  I'm using the menu item "Regexp Replace" in
the Search menu.  It calls query_replace_match.  But I can't find
any documentation on that.

Is there documentation on Jed's regular expression syntax?  If so,
where?

By the way, the Jed Function Reference Manual (at:
http://www.jedsoft.org/jed/doc/jedfuns.html)
says, in describing replace_match (in both sections 3.21 and
section 21.21):

    If how is zero, s is a specially formatted string of the form
    described below. If how is non-zero, s is regarded as a simple
    string and is used literally.

But, I could not find that description of "how", below or above.

Thanks in advance for help.

Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman