Re: Proposal: testing new modes

On  1.07.04, Guido Gonzato wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I realise that testing lots of .sl files for inclusion in a new Jed release
> is quite a burden. I think we could give John a hand if we shared this
> chore.

IMHO, the jed wiki http://www.jedsoft.org/wiki/wiki.pl?HomePage
could be a good starting point.

BTW:
  It seems like someone hacked the wiki :-(
  See the "unhacked" one at
  http://www.jedsoft.org/wiki/wiki.pl?action=browse&id=HomePage&revision=27

> - all .sl file that need testing be listed somewhere

This could even be made in a "feature poll" where  people can suggest modes
for inclusion, support other requests and evaluate the modes. (i.e. not only
testing but also stating the pros and cons of the particular mode/approach.)

> - John specify the requirements for OK'ing or rejecting an .sl file

A test script and a testing-howto come to my mind as well.

> - some sort of "peer review" be implemented - say, cross-testing of the
> same .sl files by different testers
> - when an .sl file is OK'ed, the volunteer write a short log and send the
> stuff back to John.

The wiki could have a "test results" node for each suggested mode.

Another idea would be to use the jedmodes repository.  It could provide a
test formular for volunteers and the results/log would be incorporated
into the mode documentation.

G.Milde at web.de