Re: Regular expression replace -- docs?

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 02:34:04PM -0700, Dave Kuhlman wrote:
> I'm trying to use the regular expression replace capability in Jed.
> But, I don't know how to insert the variable parts matched by a
> pattern into the replacement.  For example, if my pattern is:
>
>     aaa([0-9]*)bbb
>
> the Perl-style replacement might be:
>
>     xxx\1yyy
>
> Does that capability exist in Jed?

I made one more try, and found what I needed.  Just in case anyone
else needs the answer also, the pattern I needed is something like:

    aaa\([0-9]*\)bbb

Groups in the pattern to be used in replacements must be surrounded
by "\(" and "\)".  Have I got that right?

So, my immediate itch has been scratched.  But, if there are any
docs on Jed's regular expressions, I'd still like to read that.  Is
it possible that Jed's regular expressions are the same as
application X and I need to read about them there?  If so what is
the value of X?

Actually, I got the clue about the use of "\(" and "\)" by looking
at the documentation on regular expressions used by the SciTE text
editor.  Have I already solved for X?

[snip]

Dave

--